Sunday, August 13, 2006

No Kitty! That's my pie!

My first issue of Gourmet magazine. I'm not a stranger to Ruth Reichl's writing though, having read her first two books and many of her NY Times articles. But I recently became a subscriber and an avid reader of her magazine. The editorial echos many sentiments I see lately on the blogs, time to make pies. So, I pulled out my trust Emile Henry pie dish and searched the 'net for pie crust recipes that don't use shortening. I'm not a fan of the stuff and am happy to use butter in my crust. Luckily, Elise at Simply Recipes had one that she adapted from Oprah magazine. Below is a photo journal of my pie baking. It's a blueberry nectarine pie with an all-butter crust. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Elise said...

Wow. I love the photos! The fall cut-outs made for such a pretty crust. Speaking of which, how did the crust turn out for you? I love the ground almonds in this crust so much I always keep extra almonds on hand in the freezer.

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Thanks for visiting my blog - I love yours and the photojournal on the pie! Will return to learn more about your chocolate business!