Monday, August 07, 2006


I apologize for such a crummy shot. The dining room at Makeda's was so dark, I had trouble focusing with the camera (and the very bright flash). But, this is the plate of veggie dishes I had at Makeda's. Clockwise from the top, Gomen Wat (Fresh collard greens sauteed with fine onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and Ethiopian spices.), Kik Alicha ( Yellow split peas cooked and flavored with green pepper, onion and Ethiopian herbs), Makeda's salad, and Atakilt Wat (Fresh green beans, carrots potatoes, green peppers, cabbage and onions, sauteed with garlic, ginger and tomatoes). My favorite is the Gomen Wat, although Atakilt Wat comes in a close second. The bread is a teff-based sourdough cooked in a flat pan. I didn't eat much of the side breads, because I used a fork to eat, but the bread on the bottom that had soaked up the flavors of the food was yummy.

No comments: