Saturday, July 08, 2006

My First Magnolia Cupcakes -- Made Deb-Friendly

One of my favorite sites is The Canadian Baker. I found this recipe there and had to try it. It's called Traditional Vanilla Birthday Cake, from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

These are for my 11 year-old nephew's birthday party tomorrow at Mom's.

I made some adjustments to the recipe to make it suitable for my dietary restriction, and to add a little color.

First, I used one and one-half cups of agave nectar for the two cups sugar in the main recipe. I also split the batter in half and added three-quarter cups of carob powder to one of the halves. While I mixed in the carob, I also added the half cup of agave nectar I didn't add to the regular batter.

The baking time was right on the money! That never ever happens when I substitute agave nectar for sugar. Of course, I cut the milk by one-third.

I made the frosting completely by guessing. I used 12 oz. of whipped cream cheese, one-half cup of agave nectar, one-half teaspoon of vanilla paste and two tablespoons of arrowroot (which didn't really do anything, actually). I combined everything, but wasn't pleased with the speckly appearance of the vanilla bean seeds in the frosting, so I whipped out some of the chocolate coloring paste in Deb's Delectables purple. OK, it was a lot brighter and deeper than DDLLC's purple, but it was in the same family.

Below is a photo log of how I made the cupcakes. Enjoy!

No comments: