Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's My Birthday and I'll Eat and Shop If I Want To!


Yesterday was my birthday. Yep. I'm 37. To celebrate, I spent March 15th in New York having a foodie day. Before the big day, I researched a bunch of places that I'd never been to and made up a list, mapping them between some of my favorite spots in those neighborhoods. I fully intended to visit Taim Falalfel on the recommendation of the Amatuer Gourmet, but it just didn't happen. I also really wanted to see Streit's bakery and pick up some matzoh for Mom's and Dad's seders, but that didn't happen either. Oh well.

Here is the list of all the places I did see and their locations in order of appearance. Afterward is a mini pictoral description of what I bought and did.

  1. Luzzo's Pizza, 211 1st Ave. between 12th and 13th streets
  2. Kiehl's (not food, but a must if in the neighborhood, and I needed some lip balm), 3rd Ave at 13th street
  3. Angelica Kitchen, 12th Street between 1st and 2nd Aves
  4. Whole Earth Bakery, St. Mark's between 1st ave and A
  5. Babycakes, 248 Broome Street between Orchard and Ludlow
  6. Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery, 137 E Houston St. and 2nd Ave
  7. Chelsea Market, 9th Ave and 15th street
Finally, one weird coincidence was that one of my favorite bloggers for tip-offs on NYC stuff, The Girl Who Ate Everything, went to Luzzo's and Babycakes last Sunday. She has some nice photos of the building fronts as well, so you can better find these folks. I am a bit jealous since she tried the fried appetizers and I shied away. Next time I'll get them though, they look great!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I wouldn't usually get an appetizer, but since there were 5 of us, the evil tastiness of fried foods could be distributed. :) FRIED CHEESE = MMM.

Sounds like you did a lot of fooding, hehe. I'm a bit scared that I've been to all of those places, except for Kiehl's. I'll keep that in mind for lip balm!

And HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!

Deb Schiff said...

It just means we have very similar tastes. You're a good trailblazer, and I trust that you and your friends are going to try some fun stuff. Keep up the good work on your site!