Thursday, April 19, 2007

Happy Birthday to My Blog!

Congratulations to me! This blog of mine is two years old today. This is my 735th post!

Along the way, you have traveled with me to Utah, Maine, New York and Florida. I've made hundreds of chocolates, as well as a variety of other foods. You've also joined me on several garden explorations and watched the progression of my garden here in Somerset, New Jersey.

Thank you to all my readers who have visited over the past two years. I appreciate your support.

To thank you even more, I'm developing a brand new blog just focused on my cookbook writing efforts. I'll premiere it here soon, so keep checking back!

For now, though, here's my Matzo Brei recipe to help those with leftover mazto from Passover.

Matzo Brei

Ingredients:

2 slices of plain matzo
2 slices of egg matzo
4 eggs
2 teaspoons of milk
1 tablespoon of oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Break the matzo into 2-in. pieces pieces and rinse under warm water for 2 minutes.
2. Drain and place the matzo into a medium bowl.
3. Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour on top of the matzo pieces.

4. Heat the oil in a 9-in. skillet on medium high.
5. Mix the eggs and the mazto together until the matzo is well coated with the egg mixture.
6. Season with the salt and pepper.

7. Add the mixture to the heated pan and spread it out until it's a large matzo pancake.
8. Cook until medium golden brown on both sides.
9. Enjoy!

I like my matzo brei with fake bacon or soy sausage. I wish I could say this is easy to veganize, but you really need the eggs to make it work.

Matzo brei has to be near the top of my list of comfort foods. Although egg matzo is not made all year round, you can still make it with any variety of mazto you can find. Some folks like it served with ketchup (count me among them), while others smear it with jam. Either way, it's yummy stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Deb's blog!

Richard

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Richard!