Thursday, October 02, 2008

One Purple Boob Later...

Today I had a visit from a reader named CreativeCarryout who said,

I stumbled across your blog today as my sister and I were googling stereotactic breast biopsy. I just had the procedure yesterday and was curious to see if we could find what to expect for the next couple of days. And your blog came up, which was great to share w/ my sister - esp. since you had pictures to help you explain the procedure.
I also had so much kindness and gentleness showered upon me by the doctor, radiologist and nurse. The environment was very caring, even if the procedure was just plain strange.
Congratulations on your good test results. We don't expect to hear mine until Friday or Monday. I know you must be very relieved - I'm happy for you!
And thank you for sharing your experience...

I'm always glad to hear this blog (or Altered Plates, for that matter) has been helpful in any way. Since it's been 1 week to the hour, actually, and Ms. CreativeCarryout just had her stereotactic biopsy yesterday, I thought I'd share with you all what life has been like in the week post-biopsy.

From the time I arrived home last Thursday until around noon on Saturday, I had an ice pack in my bra every 30 minutes. I moved as little as possible since the radiologist had made the incisions on my left side, near where my breast hits my left arm. Because I have a bit up front, it was tough avoiding accidentally brushing against my breast. But, I spent most of my time in bed, trying to find a comfortable position.

I didn't actually see the bruising until Friday evening when I removed the bandage to shower. That was pretty painful -- pulling the tape off my already very sensitive skin and trying very hard not to put any pressure on my very swollen breast. Having the bandage off was a great relief, since I'd swollen some and the tape had been pulling quite a bit. After the bandage was off, I could see the steri-strips placed like Xes over the incisions. They're still on, by the way. The nurse said they'd fall off, so I'm not fussing with them at all.

Cathy at University Radiology had warned me that the bruising might seem a bit weird due to gravity. I didn't know what she meant until Wednesday of this week when the bruise moved around a bit and my nipple turned green. Now, that's not something I'd normally share, but if it's in the least bit helpful, there it is. But, for the first couple of days, the whole left side and some of the front of my left breast was a range of purples and deep reds.

I still wore a bra to bed for a couple of days because it provided some relief, but couldn't take anything more than tylenol because I could start bleeding internally if I took something like alleve or advil. Overall, I was pretty uncomfortable for about 5 days. Yesterday, I felt much more like myself, although as I mentioned, the bruising's pretty strange.

I'm most grateful for all the support and kindness I've been shown during this time. I'm also very grateful that my breast doesn't feel like it weighs 15 lbs anymore. It really felt like something other than mine. But that passed, thankfully.

Finally, I'm glad that the first week is over, and I can ramp (slowly) back up to my workout routine. This weekend, I'm spending time with some friends in upstate NY, and am looking forward to hiking and biking a little bit.

So, just like you did for me, please send Ms. CreativeCarryout your most positive energy for her good news too. Thanks!


creativecarryout said...

Thank you for your kind comments and wishes. I wanted to check back in with you to share my news - the results of my biopsy were also benign! What a tremendous relief and blessing. Thanks for sharing your experience with everybody!

Deb Schiff said...

YAY! Let's hear it for the very good news. I'm so happy for you!

Sending you a big cosmic hug. :)

Cyndi said...

I realize this is a year later - and I wished I'd "Googled" the right way last week, but I had a Stereotactic biopsy last week, and I have major bruising as well (just got results today - NON- cancerous, but "atypical" cells - go back next week to find out what's next). The biopsy was on the inside of the R breast, and I bled more than expected, and bruising ended up on the outside of breast. The R-side and bottom of breast is purple, down my side/rib area... I asked and they just said "it's normal, it will get worse before it gets better...". Anyway, it was good to hear a similar story... my husband calls it "the bloob" (blue-boob - even tho' it's really purple). Thank you for your blog!

Deb Schiff said...

Hi Cyndi,
Thanks for taking the time to write, especially while you are sore. I hope that all turns out well. Please keep in touch and let me know. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.