Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Basil Tomato Garlic Sandwich
While they taste like they were grown outdoors, these lovely green basil leaves were plucked just seconds earlier from the AeroGarden in my dining room. Because it's been so chilly, I wanted to make some thing that would warm me from the inside out. What better than some very tasty basil, tomato and garlic sandwiches. These open-faced sandwiches brought summer to my winter kitchen in the most delicious way!
Here's how I made them:
1. Started with great bread from Calandra's bakery.
2. Spread minced garlic and olive oil on each half.
3. Chopped the basil leaves and sprinkled some on each half.
4. Placed sliced tomatoes (lovely hothouse tomatoes from Whole Foods) on top of the basil.
5. Sprinkle grated cheese (a variety of Italian soft cheeses) on top of the whole pile.
6. Toasted them in a preheated toaster oven until the cheese melted.
7. Dug in and enjoyed a summery sandwich during a frosty afternoon!
Posted by Deb Schiff at 3:57 PM