Friday, December 17, 2021

The Breast Cancer Diaries, vol. 1, issue 15

Week 1 of Radiation Is in the Bag

I'm happy to say that as of this morning, I've completed the 5th session of radiation, which means I've just got 16 treatments left to go. So far, the side effects haven't been that bad. But there's one I need to go see my surgeon, Dr. McManus, about. I won't be able to see her until the 30th, though, due to the holiday.

The incision under my arm, where she removed two lymph nodes has changed. It's tough to explain it, but it now looks like at the bottom end of the smiley face incision, where the smooth scar stops, there's a wiggly scar growing up out of it. My armpit and seroma area especially are now sore. I'll see Dr. Desai on Monday, as I will each week, and he'll take a look at it then.

Dr. McManus had warned me that with radiation two things would happen: 1. I'd probably feel some of the same kind discomfort or pain I had after the surgery, and 2. my breast would change. So far, she was right on both points. As of Tuesday, I'm back to trying to sleep on my right side, with my left arm resting along the top, like I had been after the surgery. Each day this week, there's been some kind of change and addition of discomfort.

Monday was the tattoo bruise, which is much improved thanks to mulitple applications of arnica each day. All of the tattoos are a bit raised so there's a question of whether I'm allergic to the India Ink. They form a constellation of small black dots on the left side of my breast, my side below my breast, on my back, and below my shoulder (where the bruised one is). It wouldn't surprise me if I were allergic. If there's a reaction, weird or otherwise, it seems I'm going to have it.

Tuesday was the addition of the new scar or something else at the lymph incision. Wednesday is what I'm calling Heavy Lefty Day. Since then, it's like Lefty weighs more. Reminds me a lot of the pulling sensation and pain I experienced during the first two weeks after the lumpectomy whenever I removed my bra and needed to hold up Lefty manually. It's not as painful as it was, but, as I said previously, it's changed the way I (try to) sleep.

I'm just having the worst insomnia I've had in my life since I've been off progesterone. Other cancer survivors have talked with me about fatigue. There's a fair amount of it, and I should expect it to worsen as the radiation treatments continue and thereafter for a good month or so. I'm really looking forward to getting a good night's sleep at some point.

Much as the cotton bras are comfortable and well needed at this time to prevent further skin damage from the radiation, they are not very supportive. For a large-breasted person, this presents challenges when trying to prevent the heaviness discomfort. For one, it means that when I walk with friends, I have to ask them to walk slower because bouncing hurts (see also nipple pain; more on that below). But, it too shall pass.

It's a new experience each day. Yesterday, I noticed that my left breast is much warmer than the rest of my body, as one might expect that given the radiation dosage. This morning, I noticed that the scar on the side of my breast has changed color, and there is an extension of the deeper color about 1/8th of an inch on all sides.

Since Monday, the skin on my breast is becoming redder, but only on the side closest to my sternum, and not toward the top. The calendula cream (3x daily so far) is staving off any further burning. Lastly, but not least, my left nipple hurts. All the time. If you've ever experienced chafing there (lots of runners have), you'll understand what I mean.

All things considered, it's really not all that bad. I am pretty tired by the afternoons, but I decided to take some vacation time and will be off from work for the next two weeks. Patty Scott suggested some adventure days, visiting "Some Guy" Park, among other favorites. So, if you're all vaccinated and boosted, and want to meet for a leisurely walk in a Jersey park during the next two weeks, let me know!

Thanks, as ever, for your support, kind words, prayers, love, and gifts. I'm always grateful for all the feedback I receive when I post these updates.

No comments: