Monday, December 13, 2021

The Breast Cancer Diaries, vol. 1, issue 14

Tattoo'ed Me

Today, I had my first radiation dose and received 4 new tattoos. The set up portion of the appointment took less time than last week's, and was in a different room, with three radiation oncology professionals. I'm not sure (and will ask tomorrow), but one may have been a nurse. One was a trainee being coached through the session.

The table they had me face down on was similar to the previous one, but had a bit more padding on the bar where my ribs were. I was able to relax my neck and turn it at a better, less uncomfortable angle. Since the last appointment, I've been increasing my exercise and yoga, which I'm sure helped. Overall, the positioning wasn't that bad, and I could hack it.

They took several x-rays and aligned me with the radiation equipment afterward. They marked my skin up on several places on the side of my breast as well as my back and under my arm -- about 2 inches left of the lymph incision scar with black marker. Next, Dr. Desai approved the treatment plan after checking out all the images. Then, they gave me the radiation.

The radiation machine first was positioned on my left side for about 2 minutes, then moved up and over me and down my right side, below the table, for treatment there. The actual treatment took about 5 minutes.

Afterward, I was tattooed at the marked up places. They all hurt. "A small pinch" was not what I experienced. More like a quick stab and then a burning feeling. One didn't go well and hurt more than the others. I've got a weird bruise in that spot by the lymph scar. It looks like a deep red circle on top of a dark blue bruise. I put some arnica on it, so that should help. 6 hours later, I'm just a bit sore from the tattoos.

I didn't feel or see any effects from the radiation and didn't expect to today. On my way out of the treatment area, I was handed my schedule on a calendar. I will receive 16 treatments to my whole breast and the lymph area and 5 treatments that will be directed to the lumpectomy region specifically. They call that last portion a "booster." That's the part of the treatment when they switch from proton to electron radiation and change my positioning. The machine also will be closer to the breast, which is hard to imagine. I honestly thought the machine might graze me when it passed over because it was so close.

After the treatment, I visited with Dr. Desai and his nurse. First, I met with the nurse alone, and she interviewed me about the experience and asked me a few general health questions. I had some questions about what to expect, and she readily answered them. She also weighed me. I lost 4 lbs since the last time they weighed me a couple of weeks ago, which is a good thing. I've been giving myself a pass because... CANCER, but I stopped when I made the decision about the radiation vs. chemo. Since I passed the 6-week mark from the surgery, I've gotten serious about returning to healthier eating and increased execise (especially in terms of intensity).

Dr. Desai talked to me about the schedule and what I can reasonably expect and when. I should be alright this week, but by next week, I'll see redness and peeling. Hopefully, no blistering or anything worse. I'll apply the calendula and other moisturizers often and liberally. They recommended Aquafor, but said Cetaphil would be fine.

Then, we talked about the state of the country and politics for a minute before I headed home. Dr. Desai is a big fan of all the stickers on my car (non-political and mostly mention places I've hiked/visited) and started talking about folks with mean-spirited political stickers and heated arguments. I offered that ideally, I'd like to see folks be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

I was reminded of my former father-in-law who had very different political leanings. We were able to get along pretty well in spite of it. We even gently poked fun at each other now and then. (Separately, today is 2 years since the divorce was finalized. My answer to folks' questions regarding that today has been "Bigger fish to fry.")

As always, early detection is key. Book your mammograms, folks!

Thanks again for all your support, kind words (and gifts!), prayers, and love. I say it every time because I mean it all the time.

No comments: