Friday, April 20, 2007

Big, Biga, Biga-ist

In my quest to improve my bread baking (and save money on rolls for John's lunches), I ordered a great sandwich roll pan from King Arthur flour.

I also decided to noodle around with the recipe included with the pan for Stuffed Sandwich Rolls. I decided to make it whole grain by substituting one cup of all-purpose flour for white whole wheat flour. The resulting rolls were nice and fluffy, but not as tasty as my first foray into whole grain baking.

It also was my very first time making a biga. Can anyone please tell me the accurate pronunciation of biga? I said it two different ways on my little video (below), but I'd like to know the correct way. Appreciate your help.

Sub Sandwich Rolls

Yields 5 large sandwich rolls.

Ingredients
:

For the biga:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

Combine, cover and let sit for at least 4 hours.



For the dough:

The biga
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons orange juice

Directions:

1. Place the dough ingredients in your mixer and stir everything together to form a shaggy mass.

2. Let the dough rest, covered, in the bowl for 20 minutes.
3. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth, soft and supple.
4. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk (about an hour).
5. Gently deflate the dough and divide it into 5 pieces. Shape each piece into a rough, slightly flattened oval, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
6. Working with one piece at a time, fold the dough in half lengthwise and seal the edges with the heel of your hand. Flatten it slightly and fold and seal again.
7. Roll the dough into 10-in. long logs and place in the lightly greased sandwich roll pan. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size (about an hour).


8. Spritz the rolls lightly with water and bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown and the internal temperature registers at least 190 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.

9. Cool completely on a rack before slicing and filling.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

SO MANY ROLLS! I'll eat one. :) I unfortunately dunno how to say "biga".

Man, I want a kitchen aid mixer. It's pretty. AND USEFUL!

When you said "noodle around" in the beginning of the entry, I almost thought you said you were making noodles. .__.

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Robs!

Yes, I love my mixer. It's so versatile! I got a great deal on mine when Amazon.com had a sale, and KitchenAid had a rebate. Got $40 off and free shipping.

Anonymous said...

bi⋅ga Pronunciation [bee-gah, -guh, bahy-]

–noun, plural -gae  /-gi, -dʒi, -gaɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-gee, -jee, -gahy] Show IPA Pronunciation . Classical Antiquity. a two-wheeled chariot drawn by two horses harnessed abreast.

From dictionary.com