Thursday, May 04, 2006

Quickie Update

Just to let you know, although he liked the homemade graham crackers, he didn't think they tasted like graham crackers either. In fact, he said, "This isn't a graham cracker." It's most likely because I couldn't use the molasses or honey. Oh well.

They were definitely full of buttery goodness, and almost gone already. The house doesn't smell like cinnamon anymore either, unfortunately.

Last night, I made some carob candy for myself. I've been struggling with too many health issues lately and decided to just treat myself to it.

This is my own recipe, by the way.

Carob Candy

Ingredients:
1 bag of unsweetened carob chips (I used Sunspire)
2-3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter (I used crunchy organic from Trader Joes)
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened shredded dried coconut (organic if you can get it)
1/3 cup of coarsely chopped dry roasted unsalted almonds or cashews (I used Trader Joes)

You can also add raisins or dates if you need the sweetness. I didn't because I don't.

Directions:

Melt the carob chips either in a double boiler or in a microwave at half power for 3 minutes. I did mine in the microwave because it's pretty quick and easy as well as lower energy consumption, and we all know how the price of gas is skyrocketing (less to wash, too).

After three minutes on half power, stir the carob chips until smooth. Then add the peanut butter a tablespoon at a time, stirring all the while. I used a silicone spoonula for this recipe. In fact, I use them for most things I cook.

After the second tablespoon of peanut butter, add the coconut slowly so it becomes incorporated well. If you like your candy peanut buttery, add the third tablespoon. I did, and boy is it peanut buttery! Mmmmm.

Finally, add the almonds and stir well. It should be thickening up a bit.

Spread the mixture in the bottom of a toaster-oven sized pan. I actually used a spare toaster oven pan. If you didn't use the 3rd tablespoon of peanut butter, you're going to need to lightly grease that pan. Otherwise, you really don't need it. The oil in the peanut butter will do it for you.

Try to make the top as smooth as possible, then cover with either foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour. It may not take that long, but if you need it quickly, stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Then, after it's hard, cut it into the desired size square/rectangle you wish. I cut them into pretty small pieces and put half into a ziplock in the freezer and half in a ziplock in the fridge.

If you prefer a fudgy consistency, leave the candy out of the fridge after setting it the first time, but don't take it out of the pan because it gets pretty gooey. It's great with Rice Dream or real ice cream.

Enjoy! If you make it and make changes, please let me know how it goes. I'd love to hear about it.

Next time, I'll be back with some garden update photos since so much is blooming now!

No comments: