Monday, May 11, 2009

Free on Saturday Mornings -- The New York Botanical Gardens

From NYBG


One of the best free things to do in New York is visit the New York Botanical Garden on a Saturday morning, especially now while all kinds of spectacular things are in bloom.

That building above is the Mertz Library. I'd gone on a few tours of the library (because that's what library science students do) last month and took a few photos of the gardens while I had the time. I'm sorry that I didn't take any interior photos of the library or its exhibitions, but I encourage you to go see them. They have a really interesting rare books room as well.

From NYBG


One of the lovely displays in the garden was the Auricula Theater.

From NYBG


It's essentially a stylized display for auricula primroses.

From NYBG


From NYBG


Also displayed around the garden were thousands of gorgeous daffodils.

From NYBG


These were probably the most vibrant of the showy blooms. They reminded me of eggs over easy.

If you love dogwoods and irises like I do, you'll definitely want to go before the end of this month. I might just have to get my butt out to the Bronx again myself!

No comments: