Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fantastic Stir-Fried Eggplant with Ginger Plum Sauce



A couple of months ago, Mom and Dave purchased a copy of Mollie Katzen's The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without cookbook and lent it to me to try a few recipes. I've had a few recipes in mind to try for a review, but recently bought a really nice eggplant, so I thought I'd give the stir-fried eggplant with ginger plum sauce a try.

This very tasty dish was a snap to make, with only a few key ingredients (plum jam -- although I used a no-sugar-added plum spread, minced ginger, Dijon mustard -- I used regular organic yellow mustard, fresh eggplants and seasoning) and one pan. The secret is in getting a good sear on the eggplant prior to cutting the heat and mixing in the sauce.

This dish is sweet and tangy in the most delicious way. I found it to be very satisfying with jasmine rice and a few garlic-sauteed asparagus tips. Add a few cashews or almonds and you have yourself a great vegan meal.

I strongly recommend buying the book or borrowing it from your local library. It's worth the $15.

No comments: