Saturday, November 24, 2007

A New Thanksgiving Favorite -- Smitten Kitchen's Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette



Oh such a delicious savory pie! Another Deb, aka Smitten Kitchen, created this marvelous dish that has become my family's newest Thanksgiving favorite!

Here's my brother at the end of the buffet table (after taking a large serving of the butternut squash and caramelized onion galette) showing his gratitude for the feast.



If you noticed a family resemblance, that's because he's Tyler's dad.

About the galette, I made a few alterations to the original recipe, including using non-fat Greek-style yogurt instead of sour cream in the crust, and mozzarella cheese for fontina in the filling. But, because I know you enjoy these, I made a movie of how I made the galette. I apologize for the clippy audio. No idea how that happened, except maybe in the upload from my camera to the computer. Also, it was my first time using the camera staged on a mike stand with a Gorilla pod. I will improve, I promise. For now, though. Hope you enjoy the movie below. It's divided into three segments because the whole thing is 23 minutes long.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you liked it! I can't wait to come up with a spring version of it.

Deb Schiff said...

I'm sure we can come up with something -- maybe with leeks.