Thursday, January 06, 2022

The Breast Cancer Diaries, vol. 2, issue 1

Radiation Burns and the Change in Orientation and Target

Well, it's been a bit of a tough week since the last diary entry. I now have radiation burns in the crease, under my left breast. And, wow, the lightning pain has increased in intensity and frequency. There's also a lot of pain when I change position in bed. Sleep is precious and in short supply.

Thankfully, yesterday was the last time that the entire breast will be irradiated. However, I am reminded by every medical professional I see that "radiation is cumulative, and it will get worse before it gets better."

I've heard that sentence at least twice a day so far this week. I've had to say it to pretty much everyone I've talked to who hasn't had cancer. Essentially, it means that for the next two weeks or so after my last treatment on January 12, my boob will keep on cooking inside and out.

The burns have caused open wounds, which sting like crazy. The Dr. Desai thought I'd be able to tolerate the Silvadene cream he prescribed. But no. I'm allergic to sulfa, which is one of the primary ingredients. I had a reaction and had to stop it because it made things worse.

For now, I'm employing my old friend from removing the adhesive after the surgery, Band-Aid's Hurt Free antiseptic wash. After I very gently pat it onto the area with soaked cotton rounds, I let it dry, or dry it with the hair dryer on the cool setting from an arm's length away. Then, I gently apply Neosporin cream. When I spoke to Dr. Desai about it today, he said that now that the area isn't receiving treatment directly, with how I'm caring for it, the area should start improving in 7-10 days. He also said that everything I'm experiencing is expected and typical (aside from the allergies).

This next part is tricky to explain, but I'll do my best. The radiation therapists recommended getting as much air on the area as possible, which is a challenge when I'm carting around the boob that ate Clifton. But, what I've been doing is using a t-shirt as a sling, and lying on the bed holding the boob up and away from the crease. I'll do this for a couple of hours at a time. At first, I was using my left hand to support the breast, but it started bothering my shoulder. Necessity is the mother of invention, so they say.

The drawback to doing this is that my boob really hurts inside. The new position isn't comfortable. But, it's what I have to do to heal the burns, and that's a higher priority at the moment.

Now that I'm back to working at home in the mornings after 2 weeks of vacation, I am airing the area in the afternoons and evenings. After I post this entry, I will assume that position and watch the rest of "Don't Look Up." [Sidebar, I've gained a new appreciation for Leonardo DiCaprio.]

Today, the radiation therapists and Dr. Desai set me up to treat the scar area on the left side of my breast, to give a "boost" to the area where the cancer was removed. As I mentioned last time, I'm now on my right side, left shoulder tilted somewhat to the left, with my left hand on my left hip. The set up takes a bit longer and requires clear stickers in three locations by the scar. Tammy, my favorite therapist, drew a large black marker circle around the scar to denote the treatment area. (Note to self, wear black t-shirts for after the next 4 treatments.) She, or whomever will be treating me, will do it each time. The radiation itself lasts about 20 seconds.

Before I got off the table today, Tammy assured me that the burns were not as bad as most of what she's seen, so I feel pretty good about that, but sad for the women with the tougher burns. Since TCNJ's president gave us all a day off tomorrow, I can spend more time getting air to the area to help it heal. In fact, I'll be doing a lot of that all weekend long.

On the other side of that restful coin is the fact that I've had to cut my calorie intake significantly. It's to make up for the fact that I haven't been able to exercise since the appearance of the burns, which are located exactly where my bra band sits, under my breast. It's a challenge all the way around. When I wear a bra, I experience pain from the wounds. When I don't, I experience the gravity pains. Wounds win. No bra for most of the time until there's improvement.

I just telling myself that this will all pass shortly, and if I can jsut hang on until February, I'll see and feel improvement and healing.

Then, the next stage begins: medications to throw me into menopause and block estrogen. And all the adventures that go along with them.

Thanks, as ever, to everyone following along who sends good cheer, exceedingly funny and dark memes (more of those, please!), hugs, positive vibes, prayers, and love. Your continued support through this challenging time means a great deal to me. Right back atcha.

P.S.
Friends have asked again for links to my lists. Since a few people have said they do not wish to use Amazon, I created a wool list at one of my favorite small businesses, Jimmy Beans Wool: Click on this link https://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/accountWishListSelect.asp and enter my email address. If you put it in as a referral, you'll get free shipping and I'll get a discount on my next order, too! If you don't have my email, private message me for it. Thanks!

No comments: