Monday, June 02, 2008

Savory, Filling, Vegan Casserole



One of my favorite cookbooks is Vegan With a Vengeance because the recipes are so simple to make and truly delicious. The incredibly tasty and healthy mush shown above is the Chickpea Broccoli Casserole from page 96.

Packed with yummy organic broccoli, carrots, and chickpeas, this casserole was just the ticket for an afternoon of easy one-pot cooking. I also enjoyed using the chives from my AeroGarden in something other than potatoes for a change.

In my version, I didn't completely mash up all the chickpeas because I like having a variety of textures. Although this could be seen as a plain or bland recipe, what I continue to learn in cooking is that a recipe is only as good as your ingredients. I used seasoned breadcrumbs, so there was a bit of an Italian flavor to the casserole. Also, I added minced garlic as well as ginger, which gave it such a nice zing!

And, as Isa says in the recipe, it tastes good cold as well.

So, if you're looking to add some fiber, protein, beta carotene and other vitamins to your diet in a pretty low-fat and yummy way, get a copy of Vegan With a Vengeance and turn to page 96 for the Chickpea Broccoli Casserole.

No comments: