Friday, February 19, 2010

Make Your Own Low-Fat, Egg-Free Salad

From February 2010 photos

Since I began volunteering at the George Street Co-op a few years ago, I have eaten my share of vegan "egg-salad" made from tofu. The Co-op sells small containers for more than $3.00 a piece, so I decided to save some cash by making my own. Today, when I read the ingredient list on the packages in the "Grab-and-Go" refrigerator, I discovered that except for the fresh parsley (which I decided to omit), I had all the ingredients.

I started by picking up some Lite Firm Tofu from Nasoya. It has the perfect texture for fake egg or chicken salads, stir frys, and much more. I'm so glad they developed a low-fat version because it makes such a big difference when I'm trying to cut fat from my diet.

From February 2010 photos

My recipe is very easily and quickly made. However, it does improve over a little time, so I recommend making it an hour or two prior to eating. It yields 3-4 servings, depending on the size of your sandwich/serving.

Deb's Low-Fat, Egg-Free Salad

Ingredients:

1 14-oz package low-fat, firm tofu cut into 1/4 in. cubes
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
2 1/2 tablespoons Veganaise (I use the grapeseed oil version)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients and stir until well combined.
2. Chill for 1-2 hours, then enjoy!
From February 2010 photos

3 comments:

Myriem said...

Looks wonderful. Great reading your post as well.

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Myriem!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Myriem!