Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Martha Stewart's Kale, Bean, and Barley Soup


From October 2009 Photos

My version above is only slightly different from the "Black-Kale and White-Bean Soup with Barley" shown on page 186 of the November 2009 issue of Martha Stewart Living. For instance, I used vegetable stock instead of chicken. I also used plain, ol' kale from the co-op. But otherwise, it was the same recipe, and looks very similar to what shown in the photos.

I wish I could share the recipe with you, but it's not available on the Martha Stewart site yet. Suffice to say, it's wonderful stuff with loads of nutritional value (without fat or cholesterol). Great for chilly days.

What I can recommend is that you pay a visit to your local library, or check your state library's web site to see if they have a copy you can borrow and photocopy the recipe for your own use (not for distribution or publishing on your blog, if you have one, without permission).

One last thing -- the recipe says it serves 4. Serves four giants, more likely! I got more than 10 servings, plus some for the freezer. Just bear that in mind. The photo above shows my largest dutch oven.

What's your favorite soup?

No comments: