Thursday, April 09, 2009

Garden Updates

From April 2009 Recipes, Reviews, and other photos


I always forget how much I enjoy the primulae when they welcome spring in my front garden. It's not just the grape contrasted against the deep new green leaves, it's more of the waking up feeling I get when I lock the door and look to my left to see these wonderful flowers greeting me. And, it's always the purples first. Then come the reds and yellows, and finally the whites and pinks. The primulae last a long time, then die down during the hottest parts of the summer, only to resume blooming during the nasty cold rains of fall. A wee bright spot in the rough weather.

From April 2009 Recipes, Reviews, and other photos


The other very exciting change to the gardens is due to my hero, John. He's systematically replacing the ugly plastic edging (which, by the way, I freecycled recently) with these lovely yellow cement borders. We were challenged by the slope of the property and the extremely rocky (read poor) soil. However, the biggest plot is now fancily outfitted with the cement borders while the smaller plots await our digging and malletting.

From April 2009 Recipes, Reviews, and other photos

No comments: