Tuesday, November 09, 2021

The Breast Cancer Diaries, vol. 1, issue 9

Arnica Works on My Seroma


I just saw Dr. McManus for a pleasant follow up to last week's seroma draining. By Thursday, my seroma had begun refilling, so I decided to apply Arnica gel to it. I'd read a study on Arnica and mastectomies and thought "If it could work on much bigger breast surgeries than my lumpectomy, why not try it?" Besides, I've been using Arnica for years on bruises and seen its effectiveness.

In the past 5 days, it has greatly decreased the fluid collection. However, it takes 5-6 applications a day. For those who don't know, Arnica is a homeopathic remedy that works with the body to reduce swelling and bruises.

At the rate it's been going, the swelling and fluid might be gone around Thanksgiving. Just in time for treatment to start (whichever one that is, we'll find out on or around Nov. 18th).

Dr. McManus prepared me for what to expect from the radiation treatment, including the fact that I may experience some pain or discomfort similar to what I felt right after the surgery. Because it takes 3-4 months to heal after breast surgery, Lefty won't be healed before the treatment starts. If it's radiation instead of chemo right away (what we're hoping for), the radiation will slow the healing process. It will continue, but at a slower rate. I may also notice some shrinking of the breast, which is fine. I'm big enough to spare a little more of Lefty.

A friend and I were discussing scarring earlier. I'm not concerned about the scarring and what my upper left front quadrant looks like. I still look very much like me, with two new, healing scars and a seroma. Whomever I eventually share my body with will have already known about the breast cancer and the surgery. I said to my friend, "If they're not cool, they don't get the goods." My friend corrected me by saying "If they aren't cool, they don't deserve the goods." I agree.

Thanks to you, dear reader, for following along and supporting my journey. I appreciate all the kind words, thoughts, love, and prayers. It all helps.

Thanks also to everyone who sent me lovely gifts from my Amazon Breast Cancer List (See the previous update, issue 8.). It's been the most fun seeing your surprises. For instance, here is a photo of what my Aunt Harriet Kafkewitz sent:


No comments: