Sunday, October 31, 2021

The Breast Cancer Diaries, vol. 1, issue 2

1 in every 8 women gets breast cancer during her lifetime. Get screened folks. Early detection is key.

 
Update at the bottom of the post.
 
A month ago, when it became clear that my life was about to change dramatically due to the breast cancer diagnosis, I had no idea what I'd be in for. I had others' experience to draw from and what medical professionals were telling me, sure. But my experience so far has been that there are a lot more tests than I expected, many more doctors and medical staff, and a few really crappy interactions. 
 
I'd like to share with you about what happened to me yesterday. Part of it falls squarely into the third category. 
 
This paragraph contains some warnings. If they don't concern you, feel free to skip ahead. Some of you may think that it's "too much information." If that's the case, feel free to stop reading now. Some of you might be grossed out by it. Again, feel free to stop reading now. Some might be triggered, so let me warn you -- this post contains details of a medical, specifically gynecological, nature that was a painful experience not just physically, but emotionally.
 
Here we go. I'm taking a deep breath, too.
 
I'll need to give you a little background first. It's important to the story. 
 
For about 5 years, I greatly enjoyed the benefits of taking progesterone (plant-based, compounded by a pharmacy) to address perimenopausal symptoms. It's amazing stuff. Helps with balancing mood swings, sleep, and regulating periods. 
 
A month ago, when my surgeon first said that she saw cancer on my mammogram, she told me to stop taking the progesterone. So I did. Ten days later, on the afternoon of my biopsy no less, I started bleeding. It was unlike any cycle I'd had before. It lasted much longer and was much heavier than I'd experienced even before the progesterone. Then, it stopped. But not for long. 
 
On Oct. 4, 3 days later, I started bleeding again and didn't stop until today. It was nuts and worrying. I did some research and found out that when women stop taking their hormone replacement therapy suddenly, this could happen. I already had scheduled my annual with a new gynecologist because my doc had retired, so I saw him yesterday. 
 
First, there was a bit of confusion because he expected to have a 15-minute annual exam experience instead of having a conversation with a fully dressed woman. 
 
Yes, it's true that I've been seeing a lot of people for the first time in a disposable gown in the last month. However, ALL of them have been women, with the exception of the radiologist who recommended seeing a breast surgeon after he interpreted my breast ultrasound (as opposed to the female tech who performed the test). 
 
Back to the gyno... As soon as I told him that I was there because of the extended and excessive bleeding after stopping the progesterone, along with the breast cancer diagnosis, he was off and running. He talked to me at length about genetic testing, ovarian cancer, ovarian removal, and prophylactic double mastectomies. I have the lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node removal in a week. I was overwhelmed. And, upset. 
 
But, I held it together because I wanted to hear what he had to say. I asked him if he had read my chart or seen any of my test results. He had not. So, I made a note in my head to have the surgeon send him everything. I also had to tell myself to wait it out because my absolute sweetheart of a gyno wouldn't have hired someone that he didn't trust as his partner and later his successor. 
 
Then, he circled back around to why I was there. He wanted to biopsy my uterus and send me for a transabdominal and a transvaginal ultrasound (essentially, an external and internal ultrasound of my lower abdomen). The gyno wanted to cover all the bases and see if there was anything to be concerned about, especially with regard to the bleeding. And, I'd get all the results prior to my surgery.
 
About the uterine biopsy, he said, "You'll just feel some cramping." So, I said, "OK." Well, it was not at all like cramping. It felt like he was stabbing, pulling, twisting, and burning me inside all at the same time for about 5 minutes straight. After he was done, it felt like really bad cramps for about an hour.
I had enough time to go home, eat something so I could take some Alleve, and cry on the phone to Patty. She showed up for me as very dear friends do and listened as I unfurled my pain and fear. Then, she helped me put myself together again for the ultrasounds. (Later, I spoke with a handful of my closest and dearest friends, as well as my mom and Patty, again. Just so you all know, I wouldn't be able to survive all this without such amazing support and love.)
 
I drove over to Hillsborough, which was the closest University Radiology with a same-day appointment. The tech was very kind and talked with me through both procedures. She said, "You are a very strong woman. You will get through this." I said, "I know I'm strong. It just feels like a lot being piled on at once."
 
For the transabdominal, you must have a full bladder (no peeing within an hour, and 24 oz of water drunk prior to the procedure). She did that test first, and I tried hard to think dry thoughts and not pee all over the exam table while she pushed on my bladder. 24 oz is a lot of water for someone with a small bladder. By the time I'd peed and returned for the internal ultrasound, my bladder had already refilled. 
 
"Adding insult to injury" falls a bit short of what came to mind. Not only was it painful due to the biopsy just hours before, but I really needed to empty out again. She was very thorough, which made her a professional I'd prefer to have. However, I was in pain and just wanted it to end. 
 
During the biopsy earlier, no one was talking to me, so I used deep breathing techniques and counted to myself (I also did the same during the breast biopsy last month). During the ultrasounds, because we had an actual conversation, it wasn't as bad. Note to docs: talk with your patients like they're real people during procedures. If you need to concentrate during certain parts, let them know. 
 
Then, it was all over. I had a bit of drive to recover and decided to head up to the mall for some retail therapy. If there's a heaven, there's a place in it for the ladies at J.Jill who had no idea what I'd been through and treated me like a queen when I needed it. 
 
When I had the breast biopsy last month, it occurred to me that it would be just the first in a long series of medical procedures. How little I knew. I'm sure I'll be saying it again a month from now. 
 
My goal here is to raise awareness about breast cancer and treatment. I'll keep writing about my journey here because I think it's important, and maybe it will convince someone on the fence to go get their mammogram sooner rather than later. Early detection is key.
 
Update (from 10/13/2021): The gyno just called with the results. Everything is negative. So, yay! Only a small simple cyst on my left ovary and a tiny fibroid. We'll repeat the ultrasound in a few months to keep an eye on things. 
 
I spoke with the doc at length about the experience, and he was very receptive and open to my honesty and recommendations for future patients, especially with regard to uterine biopsies. He said that he based his judgement about how to talk with me on my knowledge of my situation. But, he heard me when I spoke to him about it feeling like having been piled on upon, especially when he hadn't read my chart or seen my results yet (which he now has because I asked him to take a look). Because he heard me and responded in a way that let me know he did, and because he appreciated my honesty, I will stick with him.

No comments: