Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review: Viva Vegan!

Viva Vegan, the newest book by Terry Hope Romero (of Veganomicon, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World fame) is an excellent resource for newbies to Latin cooking (like me!). One of the aspects of Romero's books that I find particularly useful is all the tips and other helpful information in the front of the book as well as throughout the recipes. Reading through the cookbook, I felt like I could easily try the recipes and achieve good results.

I'm really looking forward to making my own vegan seitan (I don't know of any non-vegan seitan), especially the Chorizo Seitan Sausages Romero describes in Viva Vegan! I suspect that they will become our new favorites. She also details how to make authentic vegan refried beans from dried beans -- a technique I've not yet tried, but can't wait to do.

I would have liked more photos (always seem to want more photos in cookbooks, so there it is), but overall, I find the book to be very accessible and appealing. The recipes read well and are organized effectively, and the ingredients aren't tough to find (at least here in New Jersey). The menus and cooking techniques in the appendices are very helpful, as are the notes in the front and the tips throughout. As per all her previous books, I'd say it's going to be a big hit with vegans and the folks who love them.

No comments: