Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Review: The Food of a Younger Land by Mark Kurlansky

 

This is one of those books that anyone who is interested in American history and food should read. It's also a book Barak Obama should read. Wouldn't it be great if we could re-start the WPA and have bloggers provide the articles about the food in their states? I hereby volunteer to write about today's foods in New Jersey (me and about 100 others, I'm sure).

While I wasn't about to try most of the recipes due to my personal taste, I was very interested in the stories about America's population and their favorite eats during the 1930s. The introductions to the individual stories were lively and in most cases, far superior to the actual stories. However, it is important to note that some of the best writers of their time were included in the project, such as Eudora Welty and Zora Neale Hurston, to name two.

Overall, it's a bit unevenly balanced in terms of what was provided, but it does seem historically correct as a collection. Well worth the read.

No comments: