Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Have I Ever Mentioned How Much I Dislike Squirrels?



As you can see, the neighborhood squirrels have been digging in my garden, hopefully not deep enough to get to the tulip bulbs (some of which have already been poking their lovely green leaves up through the topsoil and mulch).



I've tried "deer be gone," which smells like pee. That will work for a day or two and must be reapplied when it rains. Just a word to the wise, don't spray it when it's windy. It's not as funny as it sounds.

I've also tried cayenne pepper, both when I planted the bulbs and on top of the mulch. That also lasts until it rains, and I have to use a lot of it. Makes me wish the feral cats of the neighborhood would stop all their wacky mating and go chase the squirrels already.

My big fear is that when the bulbs actually do bloom the wee rodents will rip off the flowers before we have a chance to enjoy them. If you have any suggestions at all (other than pet ownership, because we cannot at the moment), I'd greatly appreciate your help.

No comments: