Wednesday, November 14, 2007

VeganMoFo Meme

Yes, I know. I haven't been a vegan in quite some time. However, I love vegans, vegan food, vegan cookbooks, vegan blogs and things veganesque. Speaking of vegan bloggers, Bazu at Where's the Revolution posted a meme with all kinds of interesting questions. Since Bazu tagged all readers, I'm taking up the challenge with the meme below. Please consider yourself tagged if you haven't already participated. Let me know when you've posted yours. I'll happily come read it.

1. Favorite non-dairy milk? Currently, it's unsweetened vanilla almond milk, although vanilla rice milk comes in a close second.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? Coconut biscotti, carob orange French cake, and another pear pie.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn? I'm a purist. Salt.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? Either millet or the time I murdered a pound of asparagus with several lemons.

5. Favorite pickled item? Pickled string beans from the Famous Fat Dave food tour (soon to be posted here).

6. How do you organize your recipes? Not very well. John and I were just talking about buying me a very large accordian folder for the printouts and pages from magazines.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? We use trash and the garbage disposal. I wish I owned my house and yard in a place where we could compost. Unfortunately, our homeowners' association is way behind the times.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? Bananas, avocados and brown rice.

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Mom teaching me how to eat pomegranates.

10. Favorite vegan ice cream? My Perfect Vegan Scoop.

11. Most loved kitchen appliance? A tie between my immersion blender and stand mixer (both by KitchenAid).

12. Spice/herb you would die without? Salt

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? Ironically, although I've technically owned my Moosewood cookbook the longest, it was in my mother's bookshelves for 10 years.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Orange ginger marmalade.

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? Peanut butter cookies.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Seitan.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Probably Indian food -- naan, dal, saag. MMM.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Our rice maker and vitamins.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Pistachio nuts, cornmeal, and tomato sauce.

20. What's on your grocery list? I just went shopping this morning, so nothing for a change!

21. Favorite grocery store? Whole Foods, but it's too expensive, so we go to Stop and Shop.

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet. I'm working on a carob spice cake and am nearly there. Just can't nail down the eggs yet.

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? David Lebovitz, Culinary in the Desert, and Cream Puffs in Venice. If I were truly shameless, I'd post my other blog. So there! :D

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Carob mint creams.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Non-vegan items I won't say.

26. Veganaise or Nayonaise? Mustard!

27. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without? Using pureed white beans to replace up to 1/2 the fat in a recipe. Super idea!

28. What would be your last vegan meal? Definitely an Indian feast ending with my vegan ice cream.

29. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it!)

No comments: