Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Have French Toast, Will Travel

Last Friday, I drove an hour north to the home of my friend Richard Factor and his lovely housemate, Barbara. Also visiting (and hungry) was Terry, from up the road and across the street.

I descended upon them with a bag of sliced French Bread from Callandra's, a container of my French toast dip and a small bottle of agave nectar for my own use.

Then began the discussion of The Stove. Richard's basement is home to the new stove, which is hardly new since it's been living there for quite some time. It's still there, and not located in the kitchen where it should be, because there is some disagreement between Richard and Barbara regarding the counters. As far as I can tell, the counters will have to be replaced in order for the stove to be installed. However, they also have a sizable kitchen island that matches the counters, and will also have to be updated should they replace the current counters. Have you been through this?

The advantages to replacing the old stove would be many. First, the old stove only has two working burners. Second, they're electric. Third, one of the working burners only works on high, which was very challenging for me and led to my nearly burning the French toast.



All this was discussed while I soaked the day-old bread in my special egg mixture (to be included in the future cookbook). Speaking of the cookbook, while I was shooting this little film of Barbara turning the bread, Richard figured out a name for the cookbook (which will remain a secret until published, but he will get full credit for it).

Here's Richard now making space for my book in their kitchen shelves. I will have between 1 and 1.5 inches for mine. Isn't that nice of him?

It was a gorgeous, yet chilly day. Just perfect for a warm breakfast of French toast with friends.

No comments: