Monday, February 19, 2007

Corn Fritters

This is another slight alteration to a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance.

Backstory: I'd made some frozen organic corn as a side with dinner. John didn't want any, so I was left with way too many servings for myself. I had been paging through all my cookbooks for recipes I'd altered when I found the "Fresh Corn Fritters" in VWAV. While I'm not a fan of tofu, I decided to keep an open mind and try the recipe. My review is at the end.

By the way, I'm trying to use more video footage in my blog. Please let me know what you think of this technique.

Here's my version:

1 12-0z package of extra-frim silken tofu
2 tablespoons of organic raw agave nectar
4 tablespoons of organic rice milk
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (you can substitute most flours here)(fava-garbanzo might be interesting)
3 cups of cooked frozen corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I grind mine in the salt mill)
Grapeseed oil for frying

In a food processor, whip the tofu, agave nectar and rice milk until smooth.

Add half the corn and pulse until the mixture is chunky, but you can't see too many corn pieces.

Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the oil.

Now, here's where I made my first mistake -- I used too much batter and didn't flatten the fritters out with the back of my spoon.

The recipe says 2-3 minutes on each side, but I wound up cooking all my batches much longer than this.

The key thing is to use much smaller amounts of batter than you think you'll need, and turn these into wee appetizers.




No comments: